Therapists Without Borders
References to “Local Organizations” relate to the independent organizations responsible for hosting volunteers. While we promote best practice data protection measures, we make no representations or warranties related to the privacy practices of our Local Organizations, or any other third-party organization.
WHAT INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT
Information we may collect from you may include:
- Personal information: your name, physical address, phone number, e-mail address, gender, date of birth, dietary or medical requirements, nationality, school and/or employment details, emergency contact details, travel insurance details, flight information, and criminal background history;
- Placement details: travel details related to your volunteer placement, program feedback, testimonials, etc.;
HOW WE COLLECT INFORMATION
If you are just browsing our website, we do not collect any personal information. We may collect information about you when you contact us, apply to volunteer, participate in our events, sign up for our e-mail list/newsletter, or join one of our programs.
Personal information is either supplied by you directly to us, or provided to us by someone representing you. Information not collected on our volunteer application form may be additionally sourced via email or other direct volunteer communications, including social media.
WHAT WE DO WITH YOUR INFORMATION
We use personal information about you in order to provide the most suitable customer service, promote volunteer safety, and administer the function of selecting you as an eligible volunteer and placing you in one of our programs with a Local Organization. Normal business activities in which we may use your information may include:
- To review your eligibility for a selected volunteer program;
- To communicate with you regarding information about our volunteer opportunities and placements;
- To enable a Local Organization to make necessary arrangements for your volunteer placement;
- To stay in contact with you before, during, and after your placement;
- To connect you to other volunteers for continuity of care regarding therapy;
- To seek feedback or testimonials from you after your placement, including your name and images that may be used for marketing and promotion purposes;
- To allow a given emergency contact or insurance provider to be updated about any details regarding your placement, including personal information in circumstances involving emergencies or concerns about volunteer safety where it is appropriate for them or Therapists Without Borders to act on your behalf;
- To produce research and analysis for the purposes of measuring the impact of our volunteer placements;
- To send you emails about events, happenings, and updates;
- To meet the requirements of an institutional relationship or insurance policy.
WHO WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION WITH
We may only share your information with anyone once you are enrolled in one of our programs, and for the purposes for which it was obtained. We will not share or sell your personal information with any third party for their own marketing purposes, and you will not receive marketing from any other organizations as a result of giving your details to us. We may share your information with:
- Our own employees and our affiliated Local Organizations in order to coordinate such aspects of your volunteer placement such as housing accommodations, airport pick-ups, orientation scheduling, etc.;
- Your emergency contact or with your insurance provider in cases of emergencies;
- Your university or school if applying as a student
We will also comply with any legal requests where disclosure is required by law (for example, to law enforcement agencies for the prevention and detection of crime or government bodies for tax purposes).
HOW WE PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION:
Security measures taken to protect against alteration, misuse, or theft of your personal information include:
- Storing our electronic and physical files in a secure space;
- Using the latest in internet security technology to protect our electronic files from hackers, spyware, and viruses;
- Limiting access to our electronic and physical files to authorized Therapists Without Borders personnel.
Although we do our best to protect your personal information, transmission of data via internet is not completely secure and we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site, and therefore any such transmission of data is at your own risk.
HOW LONG WE WILL KEEP YOUR INFORMATION
We will only store your personal information for as long as necessary having regard to the purposes for which it was collected. Generally, we keep your information in line with our data retention policy.
Therefore, we may delete your information after a reasonable period of time, and if you have not used our services for some time, we may request that you re-supply your personal information to us. We may need to retain your information for a longer period where we need the information to comply with regulatory or legal requirements or where we may need it for our legitimate purposes. If we don’t need to retain information for this period of time, we may delete it more promptly.
You may choose not to provide us with some of the personal information we request; however, this may result in us being unable to provide you with all of our services.
You may opt-out of receiving marketing information at any time by using “unsubscribe” links or contacting us directly.
We respect your right to know details about the information we hold about you and to correct any inaccuracies in our records. You may contact us regarding this at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Therapists Without Borders and its employees, agents, officers, directors, and consultants from or against third-party claims, damages, payments, deficiencies, fines, judgments, settlements, liabilities, losses, costs, and expenses arising from or relating to any third-party claim, suit, action, or proceeding arising out of the breach of Therapists Without Borders representations and warranties contained herein.
Therapists Without Borders does not guarantee that website visitors will have uninterrupted or error-free access to and use of our website. We also can’t guarantee that any files that are able to be downloaded are error-free and free from viruses or other defects. All website users need to rely on their own judgment in relation to the accuracy, completeness, and suitability of all content on our website.
To improve user experience, measure online traffic, and learn how people use our website, cookies are pieces of information that our website may transfer to an individual’s browser. This may be used to track the browser’s activities while also facilitating your ongoing access to and usage of the website.
A cookie is neither spyware nor software. You can easily disable cookies by altering your browser settings. Disabling cookies will usually result in also disabling certain functionality and features of this site as well as other websites that you visit.
We use both first-party cookies and third-party cookies on our website. By using our website, you agree to use using both types of cookies in the ways described below.
Third-party cookies, including those provided by Google and Google Analytics are used on certain pages on our website. The information collected by these cookies is used for the purpose of compiling analytical reports that enable Therapists Without Borders to measure and record the number of visits to various sections of our website, the average time spend on the site, and the pages viewed. They do not allow Google to collect any personal information from any users of our website, but they do enable Google to show our advertisements to internet users based on their previous use of our website.
Several partners advertise on our behalf and affiliate tracking cookies simply allow us to see if our customers have come to the site through one of our partner sites so that we can credit them appropriately.
We also use social media buttons and/or plugins on this site that allow you to connect with your social network in various ways. For these to work, the following social media sites such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, and Google Plus will set cookies through our site which may be used to enhance your profile on their site or contribute to the data they hold for various purposes outlined in their respective privacy policies.
Neither Therapists Without Borders nor any third-party store any personal information in cookie data.